The LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential Set is ideal for primary school children. It helps children aged 6+ discover coding and robotics through a hands-on STEM learning experience. This 449-piece set includes 4 Minifigures with their own personalities, allowing children to investigate STEM concepts and develop literacy, mathematics and social-emotional skills. SPIKE Essential is an ideal classroom learning solution that includes teacher support and offers 5 units of 8 x 45-minute, curriculum-aligned STEAM lessons.
Key product features and contents
- 449-piece set – a selection of familiar LEGO® bricks and replacement elements for intuitive and easy construction are included.
- 4 Minifigures with diverse identities and characteristics help develop problem-solving and social-emotional learning.
- The set also includes 2 Small Motors, a Colour Sensor, 3×3 Colour Light Matrix and an intelligent Small Hub with 2 I/O ports, Bluetooth connectivity, 6-axis gyro and a rechargeable Li-ion battery with micro USB charging and connection port.
- Sturdy storage box with colour-coded sorting trays for easy classroom management.
- Interactive SPIKE™ App for easy-to-understand programming for beginners with Scratch, using age-appropriate icon- and word-based coding.
- 5 units of 8 x 45-minute, curriculum-aligned lessons for independent STEAM learning through playful, narrative-based problem-solving.
- Teacher support – comprehensive teaching resources for each lesson give every teacher confidence to deliver engaging lessons.
- Teaching basics of coding for beginners – primary school children can understand and practice the basics of coding using the SPIKE app and drag-and-drop blocks of coding based on Scratch.
- Hands-on STEM learning experience – the SPIKE Essential set engages children in activities that help them develop computing, literacy, and maths skills and gain much more valuable 21st-century knowledge.
- Teaching in class becomes easier than ever – part of the LEGO Learning System, the SPIKE Essential set comes with perks for teachers. It includes curriculum-aligned STEAM lessons, comprehensive online lesson plans, assessment rubrics and videos to support teachers and a comprehensive professional development program for educators.
Key learning objectives and skills
- Computational thinking skills
- Creating and modifying sequences
- Testing, debugging and using loops
- Explore the engineering design process
- Defining a problem
- Brainstorming solutions
- Testing and refining prototypes
- Scientific concepts of energy, energy transfer and collision
- Oral communication skills
- Collaborative working
- Narrative-based problem-solving
- Social-emotional skills