What will you discover in this blog?
This blog will help you discover the amazing and colourful world of LEGO® Education, including everything you need to know about LEGO Education products. We’ve put together an ultimate guide to LEGO Education and shared how teachers and students can benefit from it. Also, we’ve covered how building creative robots using LEGO® elements can easily introduce children to STEAM learning (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math).
What is LEGO Education?
LEGO Education is a separate education-focused brand that offers a wide range of kits consisting of LEGO elements and intelligent hardware used in classrooms to introduce children to robotics and coding. They offer exciting STEAM learning solutions for children of various ages, primary and secondary school students, and supplementary support for after-class activities and competitions.
You may not have heard of LEGO Education before, even if you’re familiar with LEGO bricks and mini-figures and you’ve had the chance to build something with them at least once. Besides the fact that it is undeniably exciting, putting LEGO elements together into creative projects strongly impacts the brain’s development and helps children acquire valuable skills for their future careers.
Having worked alongside teachers and educators for over 40 years, LEGO Education designed products that bring students’ creative ideas to life and make learning coding and robotics playful and exciting.
LEGO Education is all about making teachers’ and students’ learning experiences easier and enjoyable. They can benefit from a wide range of LEGO Education kits that are easy to integrate into a school learning plan. So, let’s dive deep into the world of LEGO Education and take learning robotics in schools to the next level!
What is the goal of LEGO Education?
LEGO Education was created with one goal in mind – to reimagine the way we learn. They pioneered the growth of STEAM learning before it even had a name and helped build a foundation for developing it further.
According to LEGO Education, the research they have carried out throughout the years has helped them demonstrate the benefits of including a hands-on learning approach through modern learning solutions available to teachers and students. Even complex study subjects could be fun and accessible. These modern learning solutions have helped children build confidence in their abilities and knowledge through exploration, collaboration, real-world application, inspiration and innovation.
Moreover, the learning solutions that LEGO Education offer to teachers inspire students to build interest in computing, science, technology, engineering, and maths. Teachers can access educational sets, lesson plans, curriculum materials, assessment tools, training and support to meet their curriculum objectives. All these available resources provide educators with the tools they need to make learning inspiring, engaging, and practical.
Is LEGO Education part of the LEGO Group?
LEGO Education is part of the larger LEGO Group. They not only share a joint base in the creation of their product, which is the LEGO brick, but they are also driven by a similar set of visions, beliefs and values. They are providing inspiring, engaging and practical solutions to classrooms that will transform the way students learn.
What is the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential Set?
Let’s introduce you to the SPIKE Essential Set – a product that sits at the core of LEGO Education solutions and provides a first look at the world of coding to young students. This set offers a first hands-on STEAM learning experience to children through play. The SPIKE Essential Set encourages students to investigate STEAM concepts while contributing to literacy, math, and social-emotional development.
Why should you choose LEGO Education?
You have probably played at least once with LEGO Education sets, including bricks and mini-figures, and you may know how fun and exciting it is! But have you thought that putting together these little LEGO elements has a strong impact on our brain’s development and help children acquire various valuable skills that will enable them to succeed in their future careers? Well, let’s discover the benefits of choosing LEGO Education products.
Do you know that introducing LEGO Education into classes has multiple benefits to teachers and students? For teachers, LEGO Education offers curriculum-based lessons and briefing materials to support teachers with varying experience levels, even those with limited programming knowledge, to deliver the lessons with confidence.
What are the benefits of using LEGO Education sets in classes?
Using LEGO Education robotics kits at school also has numerous benefits for students. Here are some of them:
- Children gain skills that they will benefit from greatly in the future.
- LEGO Education products excel in getting children focused and engaged at school.
- Children learn things that they will remember for a long time and use widely in their future careers.
- Integrating LEGO Education in the lessons plan provides students with exciting experiences engaging with engineering, science and math.
- The modern learning solutions help children get a clear idea about their future careers and offer a smooth transition from school into a career.
- Children will have a boost in confidence and will learn that failure is just a step towards success.
- Students develop numerous personal skills such as critical thinking, exploration, creativity, problem-solving, and collaboration skills.
- Students can learn the basics of coding with the LEGO Education SPIKE Prime set, using drag and drop coding language based on Scratch, making it ideal for complete beginners to advanced coders.
- Students can get creative and build various projects and robots using colourful LEGO elements, appealing both to boys and girls.
Skills that students will develop using LEGO Education products
Learning coding & robotics with LEGO Education products, students will be able to:
- Learn how to break down problems into smaller parts.
- Practice application of cause and effect & balanced and unbalanced forces to design, develop, and optimise a solution.
- Understand the process of testing and debugging programs.
- Learn the basics of creating and programming autonomous robots using sensors.
- Understand and apply engineering design skills at each step of the design process.
- Develop efficient problem-solving and coding skills by breaking down problems and practising logical thinking.
- Design projects that combine hardware and software components to collect and exchange data.
- Develop problem-solving skills as they investigate push and pull forces.
- Apply scientific inquiry skills to show how the forces acting on an object can change its motion.
- Develop collaboration and team working skills to build a competition robot.
- Work with variables, data arrays, and web-based third-party data.
- Strengthen oral communication skills as students participate in collaborative conversations to present their ideas and identify solutions.
- Apply critical thinking and develop life skills.
What projects can I do with LEGO Education products?
Should you need some inspiration to help you get started with building a project, various LEGO Education lessons plans are available to teachers, including unique creative robotics projects built with LEGO elements. Let’s have a look at a couple of exciting projects that you can do using LEGO Education products!
1. LEGO Education SPIKE Prime: Brain Game
2. LEGO Education SPIKE Prime: Break Dance
3. LEGO Education SPIKE Prime Music Maker
Remember, no matter what project you or your students will try to build first, the most important element to make sure that you’re successful in what you do is having fun and letting your imagination do the job for you!
How do I buy LEGO Education?
Have you got inspired by the projects you’ve discovered above, and you’re ready to put your hands on a LEGO Education kit? OKdo has partnered with LEGO Education to bring modern STEAM learning solutions closer to teachers and students. You can find a range of LEGO Education Products on our website. Let’s discover 3 of them below:
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Set 45678
Why is it special?
- It is an incredible and easy-to-use STEAM learning kit perfect for introducing coding & creative programmable robotics into the classroom. It is designed for secondary school-age children. It combines hands-on building with digital coding.
- The SPIKE Prime set combines colourful LEGO Education building elements, intelligent hardware and drag and drop coding language based on Scratch, making it ideal for complete beginners to advanced coders.
- The LEGO Spike Prime Set includes a sturdy storage box with sorting trays, 528 LEGO elements in a fresh colour palette, intelligent hardware and drag and drop coding language based on Scratch, making it ideal for complete beginners to advanced coders.
- It is compatible with the Raspberry Pi Build HAT.
LEGO® Education BricQ Motion Essential Set 45401
Why is it special?
- The LEGO® Education BricQ Motion Essential Set has been invented to introduce primary school-age students to STEAM learning and robotics through fun.
- BricQ Motion will allow students to learn how to build a robot in a classroom using 523 LEGO elements, mini-figures, gears, bricks, springs and more. It is the perfect kit that combines physical engineering, programming and excitement.
- Using this set, students will develop multiple skills, such as problem-solving, communication, and collaboration, to present their ideas and identify solutions.
LEGO® Education BricQ Motion Prime Personal Learning Kit 2000470
Why is it special?
- BricQ Motion Prime personal learning kit is an easy-to-use 78-element set designed for secondary school-age children to continue learning after classes.
- Using this set, children will develop various valuable skills by experimenting with forces and motion, using LEGO Education elements, building instructions, and lessons designed for one student.
- BricQ Motion Prime personal learning kit is a supplementary kit that works perfectly with the LEGO Education classroom sets. It helps students deepen their understanding of the materials they have learned in class.
How to Get Started with LEGO Education?
So, you’ve learned everything you need to know about LEGO Education and have discovered some amazing LEGO Education products you can find here at OKdo. It’s now time to get ready for an exciting hands-on learning experience. Let’s look at a few steps below that will help you get started with LEGO Education.
Save this Checklist:
✔ Choose a product from our range of LEGO Education products available here at OKdo that is most suitable for your needs.
✔ Read through all the available resources that will help you prepare for the classes. You can access easy-to-use lessons plans, professional development resources, and links to download the required LEGO Education software.
✔ If you’ve opted for either the SPIKE Prime or SPIKE Essential sets, you will need to download an app here before you can use the kit. The app guides students and allows them to start coding with drag and drop blocks using the Scratch programming language.
✔ Get inspired by some project ideas that students can try to build during classes and at home. You can even find some inspiring project ideas on YouTube.
✔ Start building and coding creative projects and bring your ideas to life!
Other Frequently Asked Questions about LEGO Education
What is a LEGO Educator?
According to the LEGO Education portal, LEGO Education Master Educators are volunteer ambassadors and a community of secondary educators who embrace the mission of LEGO Education. They aim to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow, enabling every student to succeed by sharing their experiences and expertise with students.
LEGO Education has created a community of like-minded educators as part of the LEGO® Education Master Educator Program, sharing knowledge and ideas to help students succeed. You can apply to become a LEGO Education Master Educator here.
What is the LEGO Learning System?
The LEGO Learning System is a modern learning system based on the familiar LEGO® brick, intuitive, inclusive, and adaptable. It’s transforming the way teachers teach, as well as the way children learn. As students develop STEAM skills, they become more confident and move from simple explorations to complex real-world challenges progressing through different years.
Its curriculum provides a systematic development of 21-century skills throughout school years. An important note to add here is the practicality of the system, as all robotics sets included in the LEGO Learning System share the same software. Also, all programmable hardware contained in those sets can be used with any set that is part of the LEGO Learning System, giving lots of flexibility for engineering & coding skills development.
The four core Lego Education products that are included in the LEGO Learning System are LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential, LEGO® Education BricQ Motion Essential, LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime and LEGO® Education BricQ Motion Prime.
Have a look here at all the valuable resources available on The LEGO® Learning System to help you get started with the colourful and exciting world of robotics and codding with LEGO Education.
Discover the full range of LEGO Education products that are available on OKdo.
LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure and the SPIKE logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. Used with permission. ©2021 The LEGO Group.