Effective Date – March 2019
You have various rights in respect of our use of your personal information as set out in the section ‘How can I access, update, correct or delete my personal information?’ below. Two other fundamental rights to be aware of are that you may:
- Ask us to stop using your personal information for direct-marketing purposes (for further information, see section ‘How does OKdo use my personal information for marketing?’ below). If you exercise this right, we will stop using your personal information for this purpose; and/or
- Ask us to consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal information where we process your personal information on the basis of our, or another person’s, legitimate interest.
What personal information does OKdo collect?
OKdo collects personal information from you when you provide it to us directly, or through your use of our website, for example:
- Information about yourself, when you register for an account with us. This may include your username, email address, address, password and any images you upload to your profile.
- Information you provide when you purchase a product from our website. This may include your name, company, delivery and billing address, delivery instructions, any notes you provide to us about your order and your payment details
- Records of your interactions with us, e.g. if you contact us via the ‘Contact Support’ page on our website. This may include your name, email address telephone number, username, password, IP address and details about your query.
- Any information you provide to us if you respond to one of our customer surveys or enter into a competition. This may include your name and email address.
- Information to enable you to post on our community forum on the website. This may include your name, email address, IP address, your browser/device information (e.g. device ID, operating system, browser type), telephone number, home/delivery address, username, password, any images you upload (such as an avatar), and information cookies may collect (for further information on the cookies we use on our website, see the Cookies section below). It also includes any information you post about yourself on the community forum on the website. However, please be aware that your posts are visible to other registered users, so when posting, please bear in mind that any personal information you include in text/pictures could be seen by other registered users.
- Information you provide where you are opted-in to receive email marketing from us. This may include your name, email address, telephone number and IP address.
- Certain details of how you use our website to perform data analytics, such as your IP address and information cookies may collect. For further information on the cookies we use on our website, see the Cookies section below, the website you came from or are going to, your device’s unique ID, your IP addresses and operating system, adverts you click on, products you search for, products you purchase, and information you download. Marketing emails we send you may also automatically detect whether you have received or opened the email or clicked on a link in our marketing materials. We use this information for our own performance measurement, but also so that we can tailor our promotional messages and advertising to you.
How does OKdo use my personal information?
Depending on how you use the website, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, we will use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To fulfil and track your order and/or provide you with the products you have contracted for.
- To maintain your online account with us.
- To allow you to post on, and us to manage and maintain, our community forums.
- To manage and respond to any queries or complaints to our customer service team.
- To personalise the website to you and show you content we think you will be most interested in, based on your account information, your purchase history and your browsing activity.
- To improve and maintain the website, and monitor its usage.
- For market research, e.g. we may contact you for feedback about our products and services.
- To send you marketing messages and show you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so.
- For security purposes, to investigate fraud and where necessary to protect ourselves and third parties.
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations (such as fraud prevention and export control requirements).
We rely on the following legal bases, under data protection law, to process your personal information:
- Because the processing is necessary to perform a contract with you, or take steps prior to entering into a contract with you (e.g. where you have made a purchase with us, we use your personal data to process the payment and fulfil your order).
- Because our use of your personal information is necessary for complying with our legal obligations (for example, fraud prevention and anti-money laundering).
- Because we have obtained your consent (e.g. where you contact us with a query, where you add optional information to your account profile, or if you consent to receive marketing from us).
- Because it is in OKdo’s legitimate interests as an e-commerce provider to maintain and promote our services. We are always seeking to understand more about our customers in order to offer the best products and customer experience. We use information about you to tailor your view of the website, to make it more interesting and relevant in respect of the products and offers on view.
With whom does OKdo share my personal information?
OKdo needs to share information with certain selected third parties in order to operate our business:
- Electrocomponents Group: OKdo is a member of a world-wide group of companies, of which Electrocomponents plc is the parent company. For full details of the Electrocomponents Group of companies, please visit http://www.electrocomponents.com. OKdo shares personal information with other members of the Electrocomponents Group as necessary to support our services and to improve our customer insights.
- Service Providers: We provide information to our service providers acting on our behalf (for example to companies that provide digital marketing services like product recommendation, statistical analysis, business & operational insight, website optimization), as well as to those third parties involved in the delivery chain (for example couriers and delivery companies, and companies that help us comply with export laws). On occasion, we also share personal information with our professional and legal advisors.
- Government Authorities: Where you order is due for delivery outside the UK, we may need to share information with customs authorities both in the UK and in the country of destination. We may also share personal information with law enforcement or other governmental authority, e.g. to report a fraud or in response to a lawful request.
- Credit & Fraud Checking: We may share information with credit reference agencies and with third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection.
- Media: From time to time, we may release aggregated and anonymised marketing statistics to business partners, or may use these in press releases, advertising, or published reports. We would only personally identify you or any other customer in such press releases, advertising, or reports with your prior consent.
- Business or Asset Sale: In the event that we sell any business assets, the personal information of our customers may be disclosed to a potential buyer. In this event, we will make reasonable attempts to ensure the buyer will be bound by the terms of this privacy statement.
OKdo may also disclose personal information in cases where we believe the disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of OKdo, our customers, employees or the public, or where we are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
Additionally, when you visit and use our website, the following third parties will collect your personal information directly:
Where does OKdo store my personal information, and how long for?
The Electrocomponents Group is a global group of companies, and OKdo also uses service providers based around the world. Consequently, your personal information may be processed in countries outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA“), including in countries where you may have fewer legal rights in respect of your information than you do under local law. Further information about the countries outside of the EEA to which we may transfer your data can be found here.
If we transfer personal data outside the EEA we will, as required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards. These safeguards may include the following permitted in Articles 45 and 46 of the General Data Protection Regulation:
(a) in the case of US based entities, entering into appropriate contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield (see further https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome); or
(b) in the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
Please contact us if you would like more information about these safeguards.
Please contact us if you would like more information about these retention periods.
Where we no longer have a need to keep your information, we will delete it. Please note that where you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.
What does OKdo do to protect my personal information?
OKdo always aims to deliver the highest level of service and security to our customers and the website has been specifically designed with security in mind.
In order to ensure the security and protection of your personal details whenever you submit any details we use the following security methods:
- The latest technology to encode and protect your data for a safe and secure transaction.
- To the extent possible, when you submit information this will be held in an encrypted format. This means that your information is protected and safe to submit.
- Your OKdo online account information and OKdo online personal profile are password-protected so that you and only you have access to this personal information. You may edit your OKdo online account information and OKdo online profile by using your OKdo online username and password.
How does OKdo use my personal information for marketing?
Unless you opted-out during your purchase, OKdo may send you emails regarding OKdo products and services. In addition, we may occasionally send you direct mail about products that we feel may be of interest to you.
It is likely that some or all of these marketing messages may be tailored to you, based on what we know about you and, for example from your profile your previous searches and browsing history on the OKdo website, and your purchase activity.
If you no longer want to hear from us, at any time you can:
- Edit your preferences in the ‘My Account’ section of the website, which you can access anytime through the link in the navigation bar.
- Unsubscribe from emails by clicking on the link in each email
- Email us at: email@example.com.
You may also see adverts for OKdo on third party websites, including on social media. These adverts may be tailored to you using cookies (which track your web activity, to enable us to serve adverts to customers who have visited the website). Where you see an ad on social media, this may because we have engaged the social network to show adverts to our customers, or users who match the demographic profile of our customers. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address with the social network. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third party websites.
How can I access, update, correct or delete my personal information?
You can view and edit your Personal Profile information at any time by clicking on the ‘My Profile -Update Details’ section in My Account, which you can access anytime through the link in the navigation bar.
If you have forgotten your password, or have any other problems accessing the website, please contact OKdo Customer Services via the ‘Contact OKdo’ page on the website.
If you have a query regarding your personal information which you cannot resolve via the methods above, please contact us using the details below. Under UK data protection law, you have the right to restrict the use of, access (including in a machine-readable format), correct, and request the erasure of your personal data, and OKdo will comply with any requests to exercise these rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request.
For questions regarding this privacy notice or how we use your personal data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with Article 77 of the General Data Protection Regulation, you may also make a complaint to the data protection regulator where an alleged infringement of the General Data Protection Regulation has taken place. In the UK, the data protection regulator is the Information Commissioner’s Office. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through the courts if you believe your rights have been breached.